Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Animator
    I've just orderred this dvd a couple of days ago. Can't wait to recieve it. (I'm in the UK so it'll be a little while for postage).

I'll one day buy all of Don's dvd's, but, for the next 6 months or so funds are limited. However, I've a project scripted & with a temporary audio track recorded, so its ready to start storyboarding to try a story reel. I orderred Don's books from WHSmith a couple of months ago now, they keep saying "we can't deliver at this present time". Annoyingly I can't afford the massive prices of the storyboarding book on amazon.co.uk - it fluctuates between ?75+?300!

Once the dvd arrives & I've had a couple of weeks to try out what I've learned, I'll post an honest appraisal. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, as Don's a wonderful teacher, & a master at storyboarding.

Storyboard Artist
    I got mine a few months back. Was very cool to look over Don's Shoulder while drawing. I have no doubt you will benefit from it. I am hoping to get the second one soon!

Animator
    Thanks Zane - I can't wait Wish I could get the book too - I think Dave said the have got the rights back from the publisher, so I hope there'll be re-prints soon

Watching the preview its cool for me to see Don working with Jake, as I've been animating him for the last month or so in my own short film for the seminars

Storyboard Artist
    Yeah it is a treat to see he draws over your drawings.

Yeah the books are great. I got mine way back when they were each released. I had no idea until a few months back how expensive they got. That is great to hear they got the rights back. There seems to be a lot of demand, especially if the prices are going that high. It would be a shame for that much information to be sitting locked away.

Animator
    Well, I got the DVD last week & have watched it through 5 times. I found it really inspiring. 1 time my 2 kids were watching with me, & they both asked for paper & started drawing!

The drawings Don comes up with are the perfect example of drawings that you look at & you can imagine them moving, and how they will join from one section to the other. Exactly what a storyboard should be.

Do I have any criticism? Not really! There could be more spent time explaining the specific processes in creating sets, 3d placement, or the way to chose camera positions, pans etc, but of course, this is "volume 1". The DVD as it is has a lot of information & is a goldmine of inspiration for creatively minded people. It won't hold your hand & walk you step by step, rather show imaginative people a better way to steer & perfect your ideas into something worthwhile. I really like it, & shall certainly watch it many more times.

Also worth mentioning that a good portion of the dvd covers the character design process - I actually found this very useful indeed & was a nice surprise!

In-betweener
    I have ordered the dvd and waiting for it to come.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drop by and Visit
    Funny Animals
    http://donbluthanimation.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1163
    and
    Process of traditional 2d animation and the hybrid 2d and 2d computer animation with
    http://donbluthanimation.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1160

In-betweener
    Got mine today
    And the scene Don picked helps in more ways than just storyboarding.

John
    I reread Don's "Art of Storyboard" last night. Have you seen this book? The drawings are beautiful. Today I'm watching the dvd and now I'm anxious to get to work on boarding a short film of my own.

I have a couple of questions. Are there plans for an online storyboard workshop? What has become of Jake the Swallow?
    Last edited by jtq3; 12-17-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    John T Quinn
    http://jtq3.blogspot.com - sketch blog

Learnerererer
    I have a couple of questions. Are there plans for an online storyboard workshop? What has become of Jake the Swallow?
    I know Jake has been something of the Mascot for Don's Master Classes. I don't know much other than that...

Don has said he might be interested in a Storyboard or Layout Workshop. Here's hoping soon than later in 2012!

Don's 'The Art of Storyboarding' is a great resource I need to refer to more often.

I would really love another Storyboard DVD, the first one is very helpful. A bg/layout dvd too!